Sunday, November 30, 2014

Not Always Successful

6.5" x 4.5" Green In South Carolina 5
I was trying out my oil paint paper -- Arches -- again today, trying to capture that green, sunny South Carolina summertime feeling again. I got the trees and the distant sunshine in ther and even ALMOST got the color scheme right, but it just did not come together for me today. Perhaps when I come back to it later I'll feel differently. It doesn't really bother me too much when this happens, but it seems senseless when it does.

Green in South Carolina 5
What I mean by that is that I'll have an idea of what I want, I'll be working it out as I go and it will be progressing well, then suddenly the paint is not going on like I want it to. I wipe some off and try again. Nope. It's not behaving. I persist. Eventually I get to a stopping point, but the mood that I was trying to capture has eluded me. I think I may come back to it another time, but I may not. Sometimes it's better to just drop it and move on. Perhaps I'll do a few studies that will help me to better understand how to get the effect that I'm going for . . . those trees on the right and the close-up tree . . . the folage is just not right. And the sun doesn't look like it is shining through. Okay, enough. Move on.

Christmas Day, 2014
Later, I did go back to this little piece. Here is the result. I'm much happier iwth the depth and the sunlight shining across the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment